The need for Pharmacy Technicians continues to grow with demand expected to increase substantially through 2024. Technicians work under the supervision of a registered pharmacist in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies and other healthcare settings. This high demand for pharmacy technicians is the result of a multitude of factors including the constant availability of new drugs, the national shortage of registered pharmacists, the establishment of certified pharmacy technicians, and the aging population. Approximately 400,000 technicians will be employed by the year 2024 to meet our nation’s growing healthcare demands.
This comprehensive course will prepare learners to enter the pharmacy field and take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam. Content includes pharmacy medical terminology, reading and interpreting prescriptions and defining generic and brand names drugs and much, much more. This program will prepare students to enter the pharmacy field and to pursue certification including the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Define the difference between retail and hospital pharmacy settings
- Demonstrate ethical conduct in all duties performed
- Explain the laws that govern pharmacy, whether federal or state mandated
- Interpret physician orders and prescriptions
- Prepare and explain the administration of medications
- Define medical and pharmaceutical terms and common abbreviations
- Explain the pharmacology of medications in relation to the anatomy affected
- Perform pharmaceutical calculations
- Communicate effectively with patients and medical professionals
- Recognize the importance of confidentiality of all patient information
- Process insurance billing and/or collect payments
- Control inventory
- Discuss important milestones and leaders in the history of pharmacy practice
- Identify the requirements, behaviors, characteristics, and career options for the pharmacy technician
- Describe how advances in technology and research impacts pharmacy practice
- Describe the commonly used drug reference resources including the major reason for use and the organization
- Describe the drugs in the current Top 200 Drug List including brand and generic name, drug classification, and uses
Students who complete this course are prepared for national certification:
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) National Technician Certification exam
Note: Inclusion of National Certification exam vouchers vary from school and payment / finance method. To check if they are included, you may message any of our advisors through any of our available channels here
- MyCAA for Eligible US Military Spouses
MyCAA is a $4000 education grant for spouses of service members on active duty in paygrades E1-E5, W1-W2, O1-O2. Spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserves in the same paygrades, in title 10 orders, are also eligible.
MyCAA covers: tuition, externship and national certification exam vouchers
Our university partners provide, as job aids, at no extra cost: books / workbooks, laptop, mentor support, 12 mos subscription to CampusEd, job placement assistance.
To see if you qualify, message us here
- Army Credentialing Assistance
The Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) program is a government-instituted training and education program that provides a grant of up to $4,000 to eligible soldiers. The grant can be used to enroll in more than 1,600 industry-recognized off-duty career-training certificate programs, licensure exams, and academic or vocational credentials, and even re-certification. It was first made available in October 1, 2019 to the Fort Hood, Fort Campbell, Fort Carson, Fort Drum, Fort Riley, and JBLM bases. As of January 1, 2020, the program is available to all installations.
To see if you qualify, email us here
Grants (Non Military)
- Workforce Grant
We have partnered with private institutions to provide assistance to qualified students. The Workforce Grant is in place to help reinvigorate the workforce amidst the ongoing pandemic. If qualified, a student may receive up to 50% of tuition assistance.
To see if you qualify, message us here
- Zero Interest Monthly Payment Plans
Payment plans are available for any student at zero interest. This option is available for every university partner. Click here for a complete list.