Medical Administrative Assistant
Medical administrative assistants primarily work in doctor’s offices, clinics, outpatient settings, hospitals, and other healthcare settings. Medical administrative assistants, medical secretaries, and medical records clerks are all positions in great demand. The growth and complexity of the U.S. healthcare system have resulted in a substantial increase in the need for qualified medical administrative assistants. The employment of a medical assistant is expected to grow an impressive 34% by 2024.
This program covers information on the medical assisting profession, interpersonal skills, medical ethics and law, medical terminology, basics of insurance billing and coding, telephone techniques, scheduling appointments, medical records management and management of practice finances. This program prepares learners to function effectively in many of the administrative and clerical positions in the healthcare industry. The content provides learners a well-rounded introduction to medical administration that delivers the skills learners require to obtain an administrative medical assistant position or advance within their current healthcare career.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Provide an overview of the healthcare industry and expectations for a healthcare professional
- Understand the role of the medical administrative assistant
- Describe the history of medicine, medicine and the law, medical malpractice, medical ethics, and medical practice specialties
- Understand ethical and legal issues, fraud abuse, and compliance
- Employ office and patient communication techniques, conduct appointment scheduling and general office duties
- Employ technology in the healthcare environment
- Employ basic terminology used in the medical office
- Assist with medical records management, confidentiality of the medical record, initiating a medical record for a new client and filing reports in the medical record
- Implement HIPAA procedures and adhere to the patient bill of rights and confidentiality
- Understand financial and practice management
- Understand health insurance coverage, and billing and coding procedures
- Understand professional fees, billing and collecting procedures, accounting systems and credit arrangements
- Perform medical accounting, financial statements, cost analysis, and budgets for the medical practice
- Understand the fundamentals of specimen collection, laboratory safety and federal and state regulations
- Assist with medical emergencies
Students who complete this course are prepared for national certification:
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) can be proctored at a local testing facility and is available to all students who complete this program.
Note: Inclusion of National Certification exam vouchers vary from school and payment / finance method. To check if they are included, you may message any of our advisors through any of our available channels here
- MyCAA for Eligible US Military Spouses
MyCAA is a $4000 education grant for spouses of service members on active duty in paygrades E1-E5, W1-W2, O1-O2. Spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserves in the same paygrades, in title 10 orders, are also eligible.
MyCAA covers: tuition, externship and national certification exam vouchers
Our university partners provide, as job aids, at no extra cost: books / workbooks, laptop, mentor support, 12 mos subscription to CampusEd, job placement assistance.
To see if you qualify, message us here
- Army Credentialing Assistance
The Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) program is a government-instituted training and education program that provides a grant of up to $4,000 to eligible soldiers. The grant can be used to enroll in more than 1,600 industry-recognized off-duty career-training certificate programs, licensure exams, and academic or vocational credentials, and even re-certification. It was first made available in October 1, 2019 to the Fort Hood, Fort Campbell, Fort Carson, Fort Drum, Fort Riley, and JBLM bases. As of January 1, 2020, the program is available to all installations.
To see if you qualify, email us here
Grants (Non Military)
- Workforce Grant
We have partnered with private institutions to provide assistance to qualified students. The Workforce Grant is in place to help reinvigorate the workforce amidst the ongoing pandemic. If qualified, a student may receive up to 50% of tuition assistance.
To see if you qualify, message us here
- Zero Interest Monthly Payment Plans
Payment plans are available for any student at zero interest. This option is available for every university partner. Click here for a complete list.