Tort Law Specialist
Tort law seeks to remedy civil wrongs that result in harm to person or property. The parameters of tort law specify how we assign a duty of responsibility to certain actors, assess damages, and determine the distribution of burdens for the everyday risks of harm that exist in modern society, in business and in everyday life. Tort law and mass tort actions also serve as a deterrent to harmful activity that might otherwise go unchecked.
For those individuals looking toward law school or who are interested in the paralegal profession, this program offers an incredibly useful and realistic look into the actual work that lawyers and legal professionals do every day. In this program, learners will have the opportunity to weight these different viewpoints, analyzing the validity of court decisions and a variety of proposals for tort policy, including various aspects of tort reform that have been proposed. This program will offer learners the chance to gain the knowledge necessary to execute the delicate balance the rights and responsibilities that enables tort law to address the crucial needs of our American culture.
This program presents the definitions of tort laws and describes how tort laws are applied to various situations and fact patterns. Specifically, the material will focus on basic concepts such as the intentional torts, negligence, strict liability, and products liability. Learners will also explore the process of filing tort cases in court in terms of parties, pleadings, timing, and the appeals process.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Examine principles of tort law
- Examine the rules of civil procedure
- Explore the tort of negligence
- Examine proof of negligence
- Examine defenses for actions of negligence
- Examine intentional torts
- Examine defenses for intentional torts
- Examine business-related torts
- Examine privilege and immunity from tort liability
- Examine the doctrine of nuisance
- Examine strict liability
- Examine product liability law
- Examine vicarious liability law
- Examine premises liability law
- Examine ethical issues related to tort law
- Use Microsoft Office®