Whether working on an academic research paper or undertaking a project at work, students and professionals at all levels require an understanding of the most effective research methods available. Effective research allows you to pursue your interests in greater depth, find out more information about a particular subject, learn something new, hone problem solving skills and really push your critical thinking skills. Every field of study has their own research problems and methods, but the fundamental research skills necessary to undertake a project like this are consistent. Professionals in all areas of work must be prepared to take on a research project and have the fundamental skills to do so effectively and accurately.
The Research Specialist program takes students through the fundamentals of qualitative research from gathering data, developing surveys, and recording sources properly to thinking critically about your findings and challenging yourself to draw unexpected conclusions from your efforts. More often, the challenge to research is synthesizing your discoveries into written form – turning a collection of notes into a final expression or argument. This program will show learners how to get from start to finish on a research project through proven strategies alongside emerging trends in internet and digital research.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of qualitative research
- Design an original qualitative research question to draw valid conclusions about a socially relevant topic
- Gather data using an appropriate qualitative research method
- Develop an appropriate survey for collecting data
- Gather research data from indirect sources of data
- Synthesize research by writing a white paper
- Evaluate the methodology, evidence, and conclusions of others’ research by following a scientific research methodology
- Analyze the challenges and ethical issues in social research
- Enhance your research skills by using the Internet in an effective and efficient manner
- Examine the emerging technical trends in the field of descriptive research
- Use Microsoft Office®